In 1846, a group of soldiers called the 46th Regiment of Foot arrived in Red River. About 300 soldiers came to occupy about 80% of the fort’s space. The bastions were part of the many buildings repurposed during their stay. In addition to storage, the bastions were used as, from the southeast going clockwise: a guardhouse, the Sergeant Major’s living quarters, the canteen, and magazine – where military supplies and ammunition were stored.
During their stay, the soldiers maintained a continual watch from the bastion on top of the sales shop. Members of the Regiment patrolled along the gallery, a long, raised wooden walkway that ran along the inside of the fort. These patrols were supposed to monitor potential threats to the fort. George Simpson had won the British government’s approval of this military presence to deter American incursions across the border but, of course, it also helped the HBC to intimidate traders who were challenging the company’s monopoly.