The West Wing was a large addition to Upper Fort Garry’s Governor’s House, home of the Governor of Assiniboia and, later on, the Lieutenant Governor of Manitoba. It was built as part of the original building some time before 1857. It was one storey high and its main entrance was on the north side. At least three different verandas were built in the West Wing at different times for Hudson’s Bay Company officers. Verandas – screen porches – provided these residents and their visitors with shade and comfort during the summer months. In 1878, the wing was still standing and was being used as a conservatory.