Labourers, supervised by a Chelsea pensioner named Chart, dug the well in the newer half of the Fort in 1851. It was not the first time people tried to build a well in Upper Fort Garry. A few years earlier, a well had collapsed shortly after being completed. Diggers in 1851 learned from past mistakes and lined the inside of their hole with hewn stones to keep it from caving in. The well, which was about 42 feet deep, steadily filled with water in the following weeks, providing residents with “fine cool water.” A year later, three carpenters constructed a ‘well house’ over the opening. The frame was roughly 16 feet square and 8 feet high with a hip roof. Later photographs also show a bell tower on the house’s roof which may have been the Fort’s fire alarm.
Location in the Park